Friday, March 12, 2010

Cabbage Casserole

In some of my earlier blogs I mentioned that my still-working, unretired spouse wanted me to take up cooking so that there would be something on the table when she came home. I also talked about the virtues of simple cuisine, a.k.a. “good old Depression food.” What follows is a recipe that is inexpensive, nutritious (full of cancer-fighting cruciferous cabbage), low calorie, and tasty. So yes, I did remember that I said I would share recipes with you. (Even an idiot husband like me can make this one.)
Ingredients:
1 small head of cabbage (or half a large head)
1 lb. ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
1/3 cup uncooked rice
¼ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. salt
2 cans (about 10 oz. ea.) tomato soup
1 ½ cups water
¼ cup grated Italian cheese
Process:
Chop cabbage into medium-sized pieces and spread in a 9”x13” glass pan.
Brown ground beef in a skillet (with a little water in the bottom.)
Drain off fat and water.
Stir in rice,onion, salt, and pepper, then spoon over cabbage.
In a small sauce pan, heat the tomato soup and water to boiling; pour mixture over cabbage.
Sprinkle with cheese, then cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
Bake in a 350-degree oven for 1 ½ hr.
I have reason to believe this recipe really did come out of the Great Depression. Cheap, tasty, healthy, and easy to prepare; could this really be the perfect dish? Well… if you ever embarrass yourself in a public place in a public way, just forget you ever read this blog!

1 comment: