Saturday, February 17, 2018

T is for Tomato in Bed A



I dig deep holes for tomato plants, about two feet deep. Tomatoes have roots that can go down four feet. One old farmer told me that he dug tomato holes with a posthole digger. My two foot hole means I have some subsoil to dispose of outside the garden. Then I work a couple shovels of inverted rye grass sod into the bottom of the hole and fill it to within six inches of the top with compost mixed with half a cup of organic tomato fertilizer. Judging by the number of tomato plants which volunteer in my fall compost pile, they must really love compost.  This deep compost drought proofs the tomatoes and they should produce until frost.  Next, I take my tomato transplant out of its pot, pinch all the leaves off except for the top three and bury it into the compost up to those top three leaves. Eventually the tomato plant will grow out of this six inch deep hole and I will fill in and hill up the tomato plant which will grow that much more root system from its stem. When I do bury the stem, I will also bury an inverted bottle near the stem for efficient watering of my compost sponge. In the mean time, with the transplant down in the hole, I can cover it with a plastic milk jug at night and cold days and uncover it to daytime sunlight and warmth. My soil is well drained sand so I don’t need to worry about my transplant drowning in a hard rain.
As my tomato grows, I cage it, snip off some of the bottom limbs and suckers to prevent any splash up soil borne diseases and when the soil gets hot, I mulch with straw. Straw mulch moderates soil temperature, prevents soil splash in rains, but does not block the rain from penetrating the soil. I plant an Early Girl variety on one side of bed A and a main season Jet star variety on the other side. Tomatoes love lots of sun and should be planted apart so they don’t shade each other. Indeterminate tomato varieties are very regenerative and easily cloned. To get a late fall harvest of green tomatoes for after frost storage, I pinch off  eight to ten inch suckers  and put them in jars of water until they get some roots and in early July, I can replace worn out zucchini plants with semi-sprawling late tomatoes. These late tomatoes do not shade the caged tomatoes because I let them sprawl over straw mulch and some low structure, like a tomato cage opened and laid on its side.
I pick tomatoes at the first hint of red or when they are full sized and opaque green and then allow them a couple days to finish ripening on a kitchen counter. Do not refrigerate tomatoes or they will get mushy. Much ado is made about vine ripened tomatoes, but I find that if left on the vine when red, you will lose nine out of ten tomatoes to bugs and rot. When they are full sized and green, only the horned tomato worm and the tomato fruit worm seem to bother tomatoes. Horned worms can be handpicked and tomato fruit worm damage can be lessened by not planting near corn. The tomato fruit worm is also the corn ear worm. Mature opaque green tomatoes make excellent mock apple pies and there are a number of recipes for fried green tomatoes which we like as much as sliced red tomato salads and BLT sandwiches. Mature green tomatoes picked just before the first fall frost can be rapped individually in newspaper, laid in cardboard boxes and eaten as they ripen. Tomatoes are very versatile and prolific plants. The two plants and their late season clones in bed A should provide for our needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment