Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Frugal or Cheap?

There is a thin line between being frugal and being cheap. To help others better understand where that line lies, I will poke some fun at myself with a short list of DON’T DO s that I’ve done.

Do not give your daughter a gift of a diner and theater coupon book and secretly tear out enough of your favorite restaurant coupons and movie passes to pay the cost of the book. (I thought she would never know the difference. Darn, they would have to number the pages.)

Do not take a date to a free Woody Allen movie (Everything You Wanted to Know about Sex, but were Afraid to Ask) when she really wants to attend a Gloria Steinem talk on the feminist movement, which is elsewhere on campus at the same time. (Coeds have memories like elephants.)

Do not buy your favorite record album as a wedding anniversary or birthday gift for your spouse. (How was I supposed to know she did not like Willie Nelson or Arlo Guthrie? For my succeeding birthdays I received Barry Manilow and Joni Mitchell records.)

Do not tell your fiancé that you are going to grow all the flowers for the wedding from Burpee seed packets and inform her at the last minute that you had a crop failure.

Do not take your bride on a fishing trip to a local lake as her honeymoon. (I had the canoe tied to the top of the car when we came out of the church.)

Do not white out names and resend Christmas cards the following year. Just kidding, I haven’t really pulled that one…but I’ve thought about it. Such a waste to toss all those beautiful cards each year!

I must stop now or I will surely lose all credibility as an expert on frugality. Besides, if anymore old memories are dredged up, there may be trouble in paradise.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Crop failure and a canoe. That must have been one heck of a haircut.

    ReplyDelete