Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Meditation on toast

Here I sit pondering my breakfast toast like Hamlet pondered his human skull. How is this slice of toast different from a Danish sweet roll? The Danish pastry is made mostly of white flour; my toast is made of whole wheat flour. The store-bought pastry is covered with confectionary sugar icing and jellied fruit; my whole wheat toast is topped with peanut butter and jelly. The Danish is tastier but higher in calories which makes it likely that I will overindulge and further add to my beer gut. Two pieces of peanut butter and jelly toast with a banana and coffee make a fast and more nutritious breakfast. I don’t bother with a plate; I just lay it out on an open napkin which I later use to clean my jelly knife and wipe my mouth when I’m finished. All in all, the sweet roll and toast have a lot in common until it comes to cost. Since I pay only four cents a slice (80 cents a loaf) for whole wheat bread when I buy directly from the bakery outlet store, the more nutritious toast costs only a tenth of what the less healthy pastry would. Well, guess I’d better quit meditating on breakfast and start eating or people might call me a... tightwad.

No comments:

Post a Comment