Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Hauling Compost in my Glove Compartment

My first two vegetable gardens after my retirement were less than stellar successes. I am determined that next season’s garden will be different and that I will be able to significantly reduce my grocery bill by eating home produce. With that aim in mind, I have begun actively planning and working my garden plot this fall and winter. In the past I cleaned out horse stables and hauled pickup loads of horse manure and spoiled alfalfa hay to build compost piles for my garden. That was a lot of work. Reading my organic gardening books, I realized there might be a much simpler solution to building up the soil with organic material, i.e. green manure/cover crops. As a compost pile composts, it becomes much diminished in volume. Green manure/cover crops do the opposite and expand immensely in volume. Armed with this knowledge, I bought a three pound bag of rye grass seed for $3 and threw it in my car’s glove compartment. It has been a couple months since I planted the ryegrass and the garden is now covered with 6 inches of green weed-smothering grass and hidden beneath the soil surface, the ryegrass’s tremendous root system is an ever expanding organic mass, not diminishing like my compost piles. Could this actually be a lazy man’s way to garden?

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of using a cover crop, like some farmers do, to fertilize my garden, but I have a question before I try it. How do you get the cover crop out of your garden in the spring, when you want to plant other items? If this requires herbicide, it destroys your garden's ability to produce organic vegies. What process do you use?...A fellow gardener

    ReplyDelete